Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 6 hours – overnight
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 beef flank steak (about 1 1⁄2 to 2 pounds)
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
3 medium ears corn, unhusked
9 c coarsely chopped romaine lettuce
1 1⁄2 c chopped tomatoes
1 can (15 to 16 ounces) black beans, rinsed, drained
2 1⁄2 c coarsely crushed tortilla chips
1 large ripe avocado, mashed (about 3⁄4 cup)
3⁄4 c prepared ranch dressing
2 T fresh lime juice
1 T adobo sauce
- Whisk dressing ingredients in medium bowl until blended.
- Remove 1/2 cup for marinade and stir in chipotle peppers. Cover and reserve remaining dressing in refrigerator.
- Place beef steak and chipotle marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat.
- Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Pull back husks from corn, leaving husks attached.
- Remove and discard corn silk. Bring husks back up around corn; tie in place with kitchen string or strips of corn husk.
- Soak in cold water 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade.
- Remove corn from water.
- Place steak in center of grid and corn around the outside.
- Grill corn, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Grill steak 17 to 21 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
- Remove steak; let stand 5 minutes.
- Husk corn; cut kernels from cobs.
- Cut steak lengthwise in half; carve each half across the grain into thin slices.
- Layer 1/2 of lettuce, corn, 1/2 of beef, tomatoes and beans in 4-quart glass salad bowl or 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish. Top with remaining lettuce and beef. Drizzle with reserved dressing. Top with tortilla chips just before serving.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.