Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 – 120 minutes
Cook Time: 50 – 60 minutes
Beef shoulder top blade (flat iron) steaks (about 8 ounces each)
6 ears fresh sweet corn, in husks
2 T butter, softened
1 t fresh lime juice
1 medium poblano pepper
1 small red finger chili (cayenne) pepper or Serrano pepper
Salt and ground black pepper
2 T ground cumin
3 large cloves garlic, minced
2 t brown sugar
1⁄2 t freshly grated lime peel
1⁄4 t ground red pepper
- Pull back husks from corn, leaving husks attached. Remove and discard corn silk. Bring husks back up around corn; tie in place with kitchen string or strips of corn husk.
- Soak corn in cold water 30 minutes or up to several hours.
- Combine rub ingredients. combine 2 teaspoons rub mixture, butter and lime juice in small bowl; set aside.
- Press remaining rub evenly onto beef steaks.
- Cover and refrigerate steaks 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Remove corn from water. Place on grid and grill, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- About 15 minutes before corn is done, move ears to outer edge of grid.
- Place poblano and finger chili pepper in center of grid
- Grill poblano pepper 10 to 15 minutes and chili pepper 5 minutes or until skins are completely blackened, turning occasionally.
- Place peppers in food-safe plastic bag; close bag. Set aside.
- Place steaks on grid and grill, covered, 10 to 14 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
- Remove and discard husks from corn.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 steaks, 2 ears corn and grilled peppers to use in Steak and Grilled Corn Tortillas.
- Carve remaining 2 steaks into slices.
- Squeeze lime wedges over beef, as desired.
- Spread butter mixture over remaining 4 ears of corn.
- Season beef and corn with salt and black pepper, as desired.