Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Pizza dough
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 1 C cooked and crumbled fresh Italian sausage
- 1/2 C ricotta cheese
- 1/4 C grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/3 Cartichoke hearts (jarred or canned)
- 3 T chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
Recipes taken from Patio Pizzeria: Artisan Pizza and Flatbreads on the Grill by Karen Adler and Judith Fertig. Available from Running Press, a member of The Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2014.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in your grill.
- When ready to grill, divide the dough into 4 portions.
- Roll them into rounds about 6 inches in diameter on a lightly floured surface.
- In a food processor bowl, combine the sausage, ricotta, Romano, fontina, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Pulse to combine.
- The mixture should be chunky.
- Spoon equal amounts of the mixture into the center of each circle of dough, spreading to within 1-inch of the edge.
- Fold over each circle of the dough to form a half-moon.
- Crimp the dough edges to seal in the stuffing.
- Place the calzones directly on the grill grates or on a hot cast iron griddle and grill for about 3 minutes per side, until nicely browned.
- Serve at once.