Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 1/4 – 2 3/4 hours
1 boneless beef chuck shoulder, arm or blade pot roast (about 2 1⁄2 pounds)
2 T Cajun seasoning blend
1 can (14 1⁄2 ounces) diced tomatoes with onion, undrained
1 T all-purpose flour
Shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 c quick-cooking grits
1 qt water
1⁄2 t salt
1⁄2 c shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/8 to 1⁄4 t ground red pepper
- Preheat grill to medium
- Press Cajun seasoning evenly onto all surfaces of beef pot roast.
- Place two 24 x 18-inch pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil on top of each other in shallow roasting pan; place beef in center of foil. Bring up all sides of foil forming a bag so no liquid can leak out; do not seal.
- Combine tomatoes and flour in small bowl; pour evenly over surface of pot roast.
- Seal top and sides of bag with double fold.
- Adjust the grill for indirect cooking. Refer to owner’s manual for indirect cooking.
- Remove foil bag from pan and place in center of grid over drip pan.
- Grill, covered, 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until pot roast is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile prepare grits. Cooks grits in water with salt according to package directions.
- Add 1/2 cup cheese and red pepper; stir until cheese melts; keep warm.
- Remove foil packet to clean shallow pan.
- Using oven mitts, cut packet open with sharp knife. Carefully fold back top of packet allowing steam to escape.
- Remove pot roast; keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid.
- Carve pot roast into slices.
- Serve with cooking liquid and grits.
- Sprinkle cheese over grits, as desired.