Makes: 4 – 6 servings
1 standard sized pound cake, frozen
1 gallon high quality ice cream, frozen hard
12-16 egg whites
1 t cream of tartar
1 c granulated sugar
1 wooden plank, 12″ x 12″ by 1-inch thick, soaked in hot water
heavy duty aluminum foil to wrap plank
1 8 oz jar chocolate fudge sauce
- Preheat the grill to high. Note: If you use charcoal in a kettle grill mound it in two piles on either side of the cooker, leaving the middle of the grill open. If using a gas grill turn on all burners to high.
- Whip the egg whites, cream of tartar, and sugar into a stiff meringue so that when you pull beaters away sharp points stand up in the meringue. At the last minute, add generous amount of chocolate sprinkles and quickly fold into the egg whites.
- Put in refrigerator.
- Working quickly, wrap the wet plank in the foil.
- Cut frozen pound cake in half horizontally, and lay one half on the foil.
- Open carton of ice cream and cut into a one to two inch slice lengthwise.
- Place slice of ice cream on cake.
- Sprinkle more chocolate sprinkles on ice cream and cover with top half of cake.
- Completely cover the cake on all sides with meringue, being sure to bring the meringue all the way down to touch the foil all around cake.
- If you leave any gaps the ice cream may melt and spoil the dessert.
- Place the plank on the center of the grill.
- Check after 2 minutes and as soon as you see the peaks of meringue brown remove the dessert from the cooker. Note: This will only take a few minutes with a very hot fire.
- Slide the cake off the plank and onto a chilled serving platter.
- Cut vertical slices through meringue, cake and ice cream with a heated knife, and put on plates
- Spoon a generous pool of chocolate sauce.
- Garnish sauce with fresh mint leaves, shake more sprinkles over meringue