Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: Overnight
Cook Time: 2 hours
- 1 whole Chicken
- Rosemary garlic seasoning (this can be purchased at Sam’s)
- 2 Sticks of butter
- 2 Sweet onions
- Olive oil
- A few strips of bacon
- Zip bag
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the chicken and pat dry.
- Liberally sprinkle the rosemary garlic seasoning to cover the entire chicken.
- Place in the zip bag and put in the fridge over night.
- The next day, preheat the grill to 350ºF.
- Slice the onions into rounds about 1/4 in.
- Place in a roaster pan or tin pan and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on top of the onions.
- Place a stick of butter into the cavity of the chicken.
- Take another stick of butter and break it up around the chicken.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook for about 2 hrs.
Note: the size of the chicken will vary the cooking time. The chicken is fully cooked, when the internal temperature is 165ºF.
- While the chicken is cooking, cook the bacon until crispy and set a side.
- During the last 20 minutes remove the foil so the chicken gets some color.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, slice or strip the chicken.
- Add the onions from the pan, crumble the bacon over the chicken and drizzle with the drippings from the chicken.
Note: You can also use the drippings to make gravy.
- Serve with wild rice, mashed potatoes or steamed vegetables.