Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
4 chicken breast halves, skinless and boneless, 1 pound
4 sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
8 fresh oregano sprigs
2 tablespoons oil from the sun-dried tomatoes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 large, very ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 4 pieces focaccia, 4 to 6 inches square, cut in half horizontally
- Preheat grill. Use a thin, sharp knife to slice a pocket in the side of each chicken breast.
- Into each pocket, slip a sun-dried tomato and 2 sprigs of oregano. Rub the chicken with 1 tablespoon oil from the sun-dried tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Baste with other tablespoon oil from tomatoes while grilling.
- Grill the chicken until the outside is nicely charred and the internal temperature is 180°F. when tested with a thermometer. The chicken should feel firm to the touch.
- While the chicken is cooking, stir the ingredients for the Tomato Mayonnaise together in a small bowl. Remove chicken to cutting board and cut diagonally into long, thin slices.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread the focaccia (both tops and bottoms) with the Tomato Mayonnaise. Arrange chicken slices on the bottom piece of focaccia. Top each sandwich with 2 slices bacon, tomato slices and lettuce leaf. Set the top of the bread in place and cut the sandwich in half to serve.
Recipe courtesy of National Chicken Council and U.S. Poultry and Egg Association.