Makes: 16 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
4 lb sweet or hot Italian sausage links, 16 pieces
4 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
4 green bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and sliced into 1/4 –inch strips
2 T olive oil
6 large sweet onions, peeled and thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
16 long sandwich rolls, sliced lengthwise and toasted
- In large skillet, sauté peppers in oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until vegetables are lightly browned, 10-15 minutes.
- Pepper mixture can be made ahead; reheat at serving time or serve at room temperature.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Grill sausage directly over hot fire, turning occasionally, until done, about 10 minutes total.
- Place sausage links in rolls, add generous helping of sautéed peppers and onions.
Recipe courtesy of National Pork Board.