Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 6 hours – overnight
Cook Time: 1 hour
Beef top round steak, cut 3⁄4 inch thick (about 1 pound)
1 T olive oil
1 c chopped onion
2 lb tomatoes, seeded, chopped
1⁄4 c vodka
Salt and pepper
Shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
- To prepare pesto:
- Place arugula, almonds, garlic, lemon juice and lemon peel in food processor container.
- Cover; process until finely chopped.
- With motor running, slowly add oil through opening in cover, processing until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Remove and reserve 1/4 cup pesto for serving; cover and refrigerate.
- Place beef steak and remaining pesto in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat.
- Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomatoes; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until most of liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in vodka and cook 7 to 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Cool to room temperature.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade.
- Place steak on grid and grill, uncovered, 8 to 9 minutes for medium rare doneness, turning occasionally. (Do not overcook.)
- Carve steak into thin slices.
- Serve over vodka-tomato sauce; top with reserved Arugula Pesto. Garnish with cheese, if desired.
Recipe and photo courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.